The REGIN Project adapted the national Migrant Integration Policy Index (MIPEX) framework to the regional level as MIPEX-Regions (MIPEX-R). Launched in December 2021 together with the REGIN Integration Lab Database and Map as integrated and interconnected tools, MIPEX-R is a unique instrument which measures regional policies and outcomes towards integration and inclusion of migrants and beneficiaries of international protection, moving beyond the nation-state paradigm towards a more subnational focus upon migrant integration.
Policy indicators were developed to create a rich and multi-dimensional picture of migrant integration at regional level, organised along four analytical axes:
- governance elements (actions, actors & relations, and resources);
- policy cycle (formulation, policy output, implementation and evaluation);
- target group (third country nationals – TCNs, and beneficiaries of international protection – BIPs);
- area of integration policies (including labour, education, health, housing, language, culture, religion and social security and assistance).
This innovative set of regional indicators based on standardised questionnaires was tested in the six partner regions of the project: Azores (PT), Campania (IT), Catalonia (ES), Murcia (ES), Puglia (IT) and Skåne (SE). The preliminary results were gathered in a two-fold dataset: the regional migrant integration policies dataset “MIPEX-R” and the “regional outcome dataset”, together with a methodological note.
Following discussions with regional experts and stakeholders, these results were gathered in regional policy briefs. These policy and outcomes indicators should help regional authorities to underpin evidence-based policy-making on migrant integration and inclusion.
The MIPEX-R scope was extended to include addtional regions from 7 European countries (Austria, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain, and Sweden). The 25 regions that took part in the MIPEX-R analysis per country are the following (see map above):
• Austria: Vienna, Voralberg, Tyrol;
• Belgium: Flanders, Wallonia;
• Germany: Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Bavaria, Berlin;
• Italy: Campania, Emilia-Romagna, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Puglia, Veneto, Trento, South Tyrol;
• Portugal: the Azores, Lisbon;
• Spain: Catalonia, Murcia, Navarra, Basque Country, Valencia, Melilla;
• Sweden: Skåne, Västra Götaland.
A report with comparative MIPEX-R results for the 25 participating regions was published in March 2022, as well as a study – available in Spanish and written by CIDOB researchers – providing comparative results for the 6 Spanish participating regions (the Basque Country, Catalonia, Melilla, Murcia, Navarra and Valencia).
In April 2022, MPG organised of a webinar to present the main results of MIPEX-R, together with a handbook for self-assessment that was conceived as a practical guide for regional level stakeholders and practitioners to develop comprehensive, inclusive and efficient migrant integration policies. A Policy Brief drafted by MPG was also published in April 2022 to present the MIPEX-R findings to stakeholders and policy makers in an easy-to-understand fashion, linked to EU Action Plan on Integration and other EU strategies.